On Tuesday, March 17th, 2020, a group of restaurant owners and operators from Richmond, Virginia met to discuss some of the immense challenges facing our industry due to the outbreak of SARS COV-2/COVID-19. We believe that by consolidating our many voices into one we have more power and a greater ability to influence decision makers in our community and beyond.
The goals of Richmond Restaurants United are:
- Alleviate the financial stress placed on our businesses and employees by lobbying our local, state, and national governments for financial assistance.
- Advocating for a bold stimulus package to support our industry that includes a wage for our unemployed workers, tentatively called Social Distancing wage.
- To support each other and share ideas, advice, and kindness throughout this ordeal.
Our Current plan of action:
- Create a website for furloughed workers and business owners alike where they can find links to vetted resources for assistance
- Film a public service announcement illuminating our need for help and why this industry and it’s workers mean so much to our community.
- Create private social media group for owners and operators, as well as for hospitality staff in general to share resources, advice, etc.
- Develop relationships with local and national associations and organizations that may be of assistance to the Richmond, VA Restaurant community.
- Stay up-to-date with national food & beverage/hospitality developments in order to identify best practices and policy recommendations.
A Note from the Author
Richmond Restaurants United is not a formal organization, but rather a community group. People active in the group include those shown in the image below.
If you are the owner/operator of an independent restaurant located in Richmond, VA and would like to get on the mailing list, please simply email Richmond Restaurants United Mailing List email@example.com with your name and affiliated restaurant.